[ANNOUNCE] Apache Phoenix 4.15.0 released

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Phoenix 4.15.0 released

Chinmay Kulkarni
Hello Everyone,

The Apache Phoenix team is pleased to announce the immediate availability
of the 4.15.0 minor release. Apache Phoenix enables SQL-based OLTP and
operational analytics for Apache Hadoop using Apache HBase as its backing
store and providing integration with other projects in the Apache ecosystem
such as Spark, Hive, Pig, Flume, and MapReduce.

This minor release has feature parity with supported HBase versions and includes the following improvements:
- Support for multi-region SYSTEM.CATALOG
- Omid integration with Phoenix
- Orphan view tool
- Separation of the Phoenix-Connectors and Phoenix-Queryserver projects
- 150+ bug fixes
and much more

Download source and binaries here [1].

Thanks,
Chinmay Kulkarni
(on behalf of the Apache Phoenix team)

[1] http://phoenix.apache.org/download.html

Chinmay Kulkarni

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Phoenix 4.15.0 released

chinogitano
Hi Chinmay:

Good to hear of the progress.
Will the project News, Recent Improvements, and Roadmap pages be updated
soon?

Also, will CDH versions be released for 4.15?  As you know, the
Cloudera/Hortonworks landscape are going through massive overhauls right
now, with corporate announcing renewed support for Phoenix.  However, very
little detail about licensing terms, roadmap, or relationship with the
Apache parent project is released.  Meanwhile, the last CDH release was 1.5
years ago.  Would love some clarity on the future of this project from the
core commiters.

Many thanks,
Miles Yao

Sent from: http://apache-phoenix-user-list.1124778.n5.nabble.com/

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Phoenix 4.15.0 released

Josh Elser-2
Responding with my VP Phoenix hat, as this worries me with blurred-lines
of what is "Vendor" and "Apache".

First, Cloudera/Hortonworks and any other company who redistributes some
version of Apache Phoenix (henceforth, called a "vendor") do not do so
as official Apache Phoenix releases. Vendors do not have the ability to
create Apache Phoenix releases. They can only create releases based on
some Apache Phoenix release. Only the Phoenix PMC holds the power to
create Apache Phoenix releases.

The "Phoenix for CDH" releases created in the past were done as Apache
Phoenix community efforts. Specifically, committers and PMC members took
the time to personally ensure that releases of Apache Phoenix work
against specific CDH versions. These are volunteer efforts (as all
Apache efforts are), not corporate efforts.

The future roadmap of what CDH releases (or any other Apache
Hadoop/HBase "compatible" release) by the Phoenix PMC is a wholly
separate process from what any vendor creates as some derivative of
Apache Phoenix.

(Aside: sometimes, vendors employ people who work on Apache projects,
but they are held to a high standard to act within specific guidelines
to prevent these lines from being blurred.)

Finally, again, these Phoenix releases built against CDH done by the
community are volunteer-driven. We would be very happy to have more
people volunteering time to donate their time and efforts to creating
more Apache Phoenix releases which we can provide to our users.
Contacting the [hidden email] list is the best way to get started.

Sorry this was so heavy-handed -- this is a very subtle but important
distinction that Apache projects need to always be very clear about.

- Josh